What are Clear Aligners?
Clear aligners are alternative orthodontic devices for straightening teeth and correcting misaligned jaws. Clear aligners provide a cosmetically pleasing alternative to traditional metal aligners that are conspicuous to sight. They are also called invisible aligners because they are virtually invisible when worn on teeth.
How Do Clear Aligners Work?
The most common type of clear aligner is Invisalign®. It features a clear plastic-like tray that snugs when worn. The aligners work by placing controlled pressure on teeth over time. The initial step of the treatment entails a comprehensive dental exam. It allows your dentist to come up with a treatment plan that will straighten your teeth. The treatment plan can also help estimate the longevity of your treatment, all variables constant. After that, the dentist will take impressions of your teeth for creating clear aligners. The goal is to create perfectly fitting and tight aligners that can move your teeth gradually.
The first set of clear aligners you get will shift your teeth for about 6 weeks before you need to change them. Since these aligners do not have wires like braces, adjustments require getting a new tray of aligners. The process will repeat these steps throughout your treatment plan. At the end of your treatment, you should have worn about 30-32 aligners.
When Do You Need Clear Aligners?
Our dentist in Coral Springs will recommend clear aligners mostly to adults because they are very aware of their aesthetic needs and preferences. The aligners are just as effective as traditional metal braces regarding shifting teeth. However, clear aligners work best for mild to moderate orthodontic problems. If you have a complex orthodontic issue, our dentist near you will recommend starting your treatment with metal braces. After a few months, you can choose to change to clear aligners to complete your treatment.
How Can Clear Aligners Transform Your Smile?
At Designer Smiles FL, we use clear aligners to correct various orthodontic problems, including the following:
- Spaces between teeth that are not a result of tooth loss – the problem is also called diastema.
- Crooked teeth
- Crowded teeth – occurs when teeth overlap because of inadequate space in your mouth. It could be that you have more than the standard number of teeth or that your teeth are too big for the available space in your jawbone.
- Improper bites – a misaligned jaw can look like a crossbite, overbite, underbite, or open bite.
Benefits of Clear Aligners
Some of the reasons why many patients today are opting for invisible aligners over their counterparts are:
- The aesthetic benefits – since they are virtually invisible, the aligners are inconspicuous when you smile. You can comfortably wear them during your workdays and keep your treatment details private.
- Comfort – the material that makes invisible aligners is gentle and kind to your mouth. You are less likely to have accidental bites or bruises on your inner cheeks and lips as with metal braces.
- Flexibility – since they are removable, invisible aligners provide convenience when choosing what to eat and when to wear them.
- Fewer dental visits – you only need to visit your dentist to collect new aligners. As you familiarize yourself with how the treatment works, your dentist may trust you with more than one tray of aligners to continue your treatment at home.
How to Care for Your Clear aligners
Clear aligners have many unique features that differentiate them from traditional metal braces. For one, they are removable, allowing you the flexibility to eat whatever you want. However, some guidelines are crucial to maintaining your aligners and ensuring successful treatment. They include:
- Keep them clean – cleaning your aligners should be easy because they are removable. The idea is to prevent them from staining, potentially undermining their aesthetic effect when you wear them. While at it, ensure your teeth are clean before wearing the invisible aligners.
- Remove them before you eat – eating with your aligners will damage them. Other than stains, you can easily break the material and compromise the progress of your treatment.
- Wear them for at least 20 hours every day – wearing your aligners for a long time assures you of a successful outcome. If you want to get done with your treatment quickly, ensure you follow through with wearing your aligners every day and night.
Looking for clear aligners in Coral Springs, FL? Call or schedule your appointment with Designer Smiles FL today!