What are Mouthguards?
They are oral appliances that protect the teeth and jaw from fractures and damage after dental trauma or injuries. Mouthguards create a protective layer over teeth, acting as a shock absorber during traumatic events. In many cases, these mouth protectors are beneficial to sportspersons, especially those involved in high-contact sports.
When Would You Need to Use a Mouthguard?
Mouthguards are not for use on every occasion. They are crucial for protecting your teeth and jaw in some of the following circumstances:
- Bruxism – is a condition featuring excessive teeth grinding, especially at night when you sleep.
- Sleep Apnea – is a sleeping condition that affects proper breathability at night. A patient experiences repeated instances of involuntarily not breathing. It can cause many health problems like gasping for air repeatedly, dry mouth, sore throat, heart problems, or lack of sleep.
- Sports – if you are involved in high-contact sports like football, lacrosse, wrestling, and boxing, you need a mouth protector.
- Snoring – deep snoring is common for patients with sleep apnea or respiratory and other health problems.
Types of Mouthguards
Our dentist in Coral Springs recognizes 3 main categories of mouthguards, which are:
- Stock Mouthguards – are the most common and readily available mouth protectors. They are premade and available in drug and sports stores in a one-size-fits-all kind. Therefore, they can be ill-fitting, making it difficult to breathe well when you wear them.
- Boil & Bite Mouthguards – are similar to stock mouthguards, especially regarding their availability. However, they feature a thermoplastic material, adjustable when exposed to different temperatures. Before wearing them, you have to place them in hot water, then use your finger or tongue to line them properly on your teeth. While boil and bite mouth protectors are better than the stock ones, our dentist in 33067 will still tell you that they are not the best mouthguards available.
- Custom-Made Mouthguards – these are the type of mouth protectors we avail in our offices at Designer Smiles FL. They fit snugly since we tailor them to your individual features after the impressions of your mouth. They are the most comfortable of all the mouthguards available in dentistry.
The Best Mouthguards Worth Considering in 2022
Now that you know the main categories of mouthguards, invest time learning about the best mouthguards you can try in 2022:
1. Shock Doctor Football Gel Mouthguard
It features a heavy-duty and protective BPA-free material and a gel fit liner technology that makes it incredibly comfortable. Although it is a stock mouthguard, the gel mold makes it line perfectly with your teeth and gums for a comfortable fit. Besides, it has breathing channels at the top and bottom sections to aid breathability.
2. Oral-B Nighttime Dental Guard with Scope
It is a boil and bite mouthguard that offers full coverage. Instead of boiling in water, this mouthguard requires microwaving. It features a microwave-safe case that allows you to heat it in your microwave for a short while before using it. It is perfect for nighttime for teeth grinders.
3. SnoreRx Guard
It is a boil and bites mouth protector for overcoming snoring at night for patients with sleep apnea. This mouthguard offers full coverage, covering both the upper and lower teeth while preventing the lower jaw from dropping back when you sleep.
4. ZYPPAH Anti Snoring Hybrid Oral Appliance Mouthpiece
It is a mouth protector that features a tongue retainer. This boil and bite mouthguard can treat sleep apnea by pulling your tongue forward at night.
5. Under Armour Football Mouthguard
It is a stock mouthguard that features an integrated bite pad on the inner side to improve comfort. It comes with straps that you can choose to use to adjust the fit accordingly. However, you can also wear them without the straps. Consider the Under Armour Football mouthguard if you are worried about finding a suitable mouth protector with braces.
Ultimately, you will be spoilt for options when shopping for the best mouthguard in town. Therefore, identify a mouth protector that meets your needs while offering optimal comfort. Ensure you can breathe well and are not worried about them slipping off to choke you when you wear your mouthguard. If you are looking for mouthguards in Coral Springs, FL, consider visiting our dentist for custom-made mouthguards. Call us or schedule your appointment with us today!